A couple of days ago, together with 6 other members of our beekeeping group, I took my basic beekeeping exam. Although I’m in my second year I’ve only had my own bees for just over 12 months.
There is a practical element to the exam where we have to inspect a hive (not our own) and comment on what we see. And also an oral test with the examiner asking g lots of questions about the lifecycle of bees, how to manage swarms and what diseases and pests there are.
I think I did ok on the exam, but I’ll know for sure in about a week. One of the main benefits of passing is that I can then manage my bees on my own without having to have someone with me. Plus the fact it means my knowledge is at an ok point right now.
There is still a lot to learn, see and do but the advantage of joining a group is that there are experienced people around to learn from and help us along the way.
I think the next exam is on Bee health but I’ll have a little break before diving in to that one. Think I’ll save it for the winter when there’s not much to do at the apiary. The bees don’t hibernate but they get less active and don’t leave the hive very often.
Following on from yesterday, I checked the smaller hive today; although it’s now in a proper National brood box.
The queen in there seems to be doing really well. There was everything from eggs to larvae to capped brood. The workers are also ‘drawing out’ new honey comb to give the queen more room to lay. I had given them some sugar syrup last week to encourage them to produce the wax needed, but there must be a good nectar flow as they’ve hardly used any of the syrup.
Well, here I was, hoping to be able to say that the weather had improved and that I had done a proper inspection of my hive and that everything was going along write nicely thank you very much. No such thing. It’s cold. And grey. And damp. This is the UK, what was I expecting!?
Anyway. Pretty much the same story as last month. No proper check to see what’s going on. But, the bees are still slowly munching through the slab of fondant I put on at Christmas. There is very little of it gone which means they must have good supplies of their own.
I’ve left a super with frames at the site together with a queen excluder. The hope is that next week it will be warm enough to do a proper inspection and get them set up to take advantage of the oil seed rape that is now flowering. They’ll need to draw out the foundation on the frames but hopefully I’ll get a bit of honey from them. Fingers crossed.
Not much going on at the moment! Inspected the bees today – well, I say ‘inspected’, but all we really did was make sure they had enough food and the varroa count wasn’t excessive. Here in the UK it’s still very cold and wet. Not good weather for bees (or beekeepers for that matter).
What was good to see was the wax flakes on the varroa floor. This means the little darlings have been out and about on good days and are starting to build some more comb. They’re still in a tight cluster of about 5 frames width. However they are on a double brood box, so without opening up the hive properly it’s hard to say if it’s just in one box or both.
Hopefully next month will be warmer and I’ll get a better look at what’s going on.