01 June 2019 (part 2)

Poly Hive

Polystyrene hive parts

Having put the bees to bed over the winter I needed to prepare for the next season as I wanted to have more than just one hive. I decided that due to costs the way to go was to get a couple of polystyrene hives. They were about half the price of cedar ones and actually had more boxes I could use. (Normally I wouldn’t consider something that isn’t recyclable  but cost was the main factor this time around)

The kit came from our local supplier Maisemore Apiaries and arrived in double-quick time. They went together really easily and are just the job. Pictures in future posts.

 

#Maisemore

 

31 July 2018

A couple of days ago, together with 6 other members of our beekeeping group, I took my basic beekeeping exam. Although I’m in my second year I’ve only had my own bees for just over 12 months.

There is a practical element to the exam where we have to inspect a hive (not our own) and comment on what we see. And also an oral test with the examiner asking g lots of questions about the lifecycle of bees, how to manage swarms and what diseases and pests there are.

I think I did ok on the exam, but I’ll know for sure in about a week. One of the main benefits of passing is that I can then manage my bees on my own without having to have someone with me. Plus the fact it means my knowledge is at an ok point right now.

There is still a lot to learn, see and do but the advantage of joining a group is that there are experienced people around to learn from and help us along the way.

I think the next exam is on Bee health but I’ll have a little break before diving in to that one. Think I’ll save it for the winter when there’s not much to do at the apiary. The bees don’t hibernate but they get less active and don’t leave the hive very often.

26 July 2018

Where has the time gone since my last post. A lot has happened and I must get better at keeping this game updated or I’ll forget what I did.

Since uniting my hives (one with a queen, one without) things have got much better. The queen seems to be a good one and is laying well and the number of bees has increased substantially. Despite the hot, dry weather they seem to be bringing in a good amount of nectar and pollen. Won’t get any honey again this year but I’d rather the bees have what there is. Maybe next year will be better.

In terms of numbers of bees it’s hard to put a figure of it but at the last inspection there were 7 frames that were almost completely full of eggs, larvae and bees yet to hatch. That’s a lot!

31 May 2018

After the last couple of weeks’ activity I can’t wait to see what my ‘girls’ have been up to since I last checked on them.

Update later.

Later!!

Went to check whether or not they were behaving themselves but because of the weather we didn’t dare open the hive up.

Haven’t seen so much rain in one session for a while. Fortunately the hive is on a hill so there was no risk of flooding. There was also some pretty big claps of thunder which bees don’t like.

Have to wait until the weather improves for the next update. In the meantime I’ve started studying in earnest for my ‘basic’ exam later in the year. They call it basic but actually it’s pretty full on and there’s a lot to learn. It’s a combination of practical and theory. I’m certainly more comfortable on the practical, handling bees and gives bit. Need to knuckle down and get to grips with the theory.

29 April 2018

Well, here I was, hoping to be able to say that the weather had improved and that I had done a proper inspection of my hive and that everything was going along write nicely thank you very much. No such thing. It’s cold. And grey. And damp. This is the UK, what was I expecting!?

Anyway. Pretty much the same story as last month. No proper check to see what’s going on. But, the bees are still slowly munching through the slab of fondant I put on at Christmas. There is very little of it gone which means they must have good supplies of their own.

I’ve left a super with frames at the site together with a queen excluder. The hope is that next week it will be warm enough to do a proper inspection and get them set up to take advantage of the oil seed rape that is now flowering. They’ll need to draw out the foundation on the frames but hopefully I’ll get a bit of honey from them. Fingers crossed.

08 April 2018

Not much going on at the moment! Inspected the bees today – well, I say ‘inspected’, but all we really did was make sure they had enough food and the varroa count wasn’t excessive. Here in the UK it’s still very cold and wet. Not good weather for bees (or beekeepers for that matter).

What was good to see was the wax flakes on the varroa floor. This means the little darlings have been out and about on good days and are starting to build some more comb. They’re still in a tight cluster of about 5 frames width. However they are on a double brood box, so without opening up the hive properly it’s hard to say if it’s just in one box or both.

Hopefully next month will be warmer and I’ll get a better look at what’s going on.