12 February 2018

Last month I discovered that I should have changed the entrance block on my hive to give a bigger opening. This allows the bees to more easily get rid of their dead out the front door. This month’s visit gave me the opportunity to make the change. Armed with my smoker and under the watchful eye and guiding hands of Liz I took the entrance block out completely and just replaced the mouse guard. Much easier now for the girls to remove the dead.

This visit I checked how much of the fondant they’d eaten; not very much. They’re obviously quite happy using up their own stores. Also checked for varroa, and had a low count, but more than some others at our apiary.

Next check – early March.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s